Tuesday, January 11, 2011

the day before....

I'm excited and nervous and I couldn't sleep last night; kind of like when you were a kid and it was Christmas Eve and you couldn't wait for the morning to come. My first stop will actually be in Springfield, IL to visit my dear friend Kelly and meet her family. I've adjusted my route and I'm not going to stop in St. Louis but I am going to stop in Roswell, NM now. Maybe I'll see some aliens or true crazies! I've been looking at www.roadsideamerica.com to find the most unique attractions to see along the way. I appreciate the support I've received from my loving friends. I wish that my family was more supportive of me but my friends have become my family and as long as I have someone in my corner, I don't feel so scared.

I do believe in fate and that there are reasons for people coming in and out of your life at specific moments in time. And lately I've received a lot of signs that I can't ignore any more. If I let fear of the unknown rule my life again then this second chance will be wasted. I met my lovely Australian friend by chance one night in the bathroom of our favorite bar when I was crying. She showed me kindness and didn't have to so I am very grateful for her kind heart. We were discussing hopes and dreams and I told her about my dream of being a director. She asked what was holding me back from it now. I paused and she smiled and said, you are holding yourself back, just go and do it.

Sunday I went to Steppenwolf and saw "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and absolutely loved it. Sometimes when I'm watching a show and the performance and script are particularly moving to me I get something that I call Tingly Face. It doesn't happen all of the time so when it does I know that this is important and I should pay attention and not let it slip away. Some people don't understand what I mean by Tingly Face, it's hard to explain if you've never had it. Basically at certain moments I feel every nerve, every cell, every single part of my face become electrified; not in a stun gun way but in a gentle but noticeable way that makes me smile so big and makes my heart flutter just enough. So I had Tingly Face and walked out of the show feeling great. I went to The Black Duck, sat at the bar and ordered a drink and some dinner.

I met a sweet young guy named Jack. He was very animated and talkative and we slipped very quickly and easily into a comfortable banter for quite some time. He called me Alice and I found that quite fitting since I'm going to embark on this epic journey. I then told him about my trip and he said, well Alice you're going down the rabbit hole and what will you find on the other side? I honestly don't know, but I can't wait to find out.

4 comments:

  1. Haha I definitely know what you mean by Tingly Face! It's one of the rare and very best side effects to having an open heart that can still be effected by wonder, possibility and every day magic. I'm so excited for you and your adventure. On my last road trip, moving back from CA, we rolled into Roswell, NW at about 11 pm. Not wanting to miss a prime opportunity, we hastily crafted some goofy hats out of tinfoil and took pictures next to the town sign and some of the alien themed displays throughout the city. Just have fun with it, and don't forget to stop and look at the starts while you're out that way, they're pretty spectacular. Love ya babe! Be safe and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Val - keep us posted everyday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck to you. I can't wait to get together after this trip and see all the pics and hear of your travels. I'm thinking of you often and hope that you find what you are looking for on this trip. Above all, stay safe and be careful who you talk to. Love you, Val!

    ReplyDelete