Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Beginning

I love a good story and like every story, there's a beginning. I'm a dreamer, a romantic at heart. When I was young, I wanted to direct theatre and bring joy, laughter and emotional experiences to my audience. I graduated high school when I was 17 and left for college that night because I couldn't wait to start my life. I studied theatre at Illinois State University and had some amazing adventures, met forever friends and worked with gifted artists. I graduated ten years ago with lots of student loan debt. I had six months to find a paying job in theatre and basically I froze. I got scared and bailed; I made the easy choice but now I know that it wasn't the right choice for me. This is my second chance so I'm embracing it and running with it. I am back where I started ten years ago but I'm wiser for the experiences that I've had. Next week I am embarking on an Epic Journey from Chicago to LA and back. Along the way I will stop and see friends and family. I've been applying for jobs in each area in an effort to figure out what will make my soul sing. My plan is to drive to St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans, Austin, Tucson, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Denver, Omaha, Minneapolis and then return home. Depending on the weather I might start in Minneapolis, but I won't know for sure until next week. I'm going to write about my travels and adventures and my goal is to have some clarity and direction when I'm done.....a job would be nice to but I'm not going to push it.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck girl! I cannot wait to hear about it all!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run Vala, run! And don't stop until you arrive at the destination that makes your soul sing!!!

    ReplyDelete